[GRASS5] GNU Free Documentation License and maps

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Aug 22 10:45:37 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 03:11:40PM -0400, Greg Sepesi wrote:
> It seems that the GNU FDL (Free Documentation License, see
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#FDL) is applicable to maps as
> well as manuals.

Probably, but I'll find it not a good choice for maps.

> Has there been any discussion of GRASS inserting an
> FDL notice in the maps it creates?

No,
you can make proprietary maps with GRASS
and this ability here to stay.

> With SVG maps (which I've been creating for testing code), map users
> have the opportunity to edit/copy map data with a text editor.  Some
> commercial map vendors avoid SVG because of this.  Could it be an
> advantage of GRASS?

I don't quite understand what the advantage for GRASS would be
in your question. Naturally Free Software data formats are never closed,
but GRASS and other Free Software can read and manipulate many data formats.