[GRASS5] GRASS 5.1: MacOSX compilation?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Aug 25 10:27:06 EDT 2003

Followup - GRASS 5.1 on Mac OS X (Darwin):

Finally after applying more patches to GRASS 5.0/5.1 (thanks
to  Roberto Flor from IRST for his assistance) I was able
to compile GRASS 5.1 *completely* on Mac OS X (Darwin).

You need the latest (now or later) CVS versions:
- 5.0 CVS HEAD
- 5.1 CVS HEAD

A) To try at home from source code:

#fully clean 5.1:
cd /where/is/51
make mixclean
make distclean

#to catch the new 5.0 fixes from CVS HEAD:
cd /where/is/50
cvs up -dP

#now update 5.1:
cd /where/is/51
cvs up -dP

#example parameters here for configure:
# http://grass.itc.it/grass51/source/conf_scripts/macosx/conf51_macOSX.sh
configure -foo -bar ...

#link 5.0 code into 5.1:
make mix

#compile:
make
# ... report any problems...

#if successfull, install:
make install

grass51

B) Get precompiled binaries:

(Temporarily) download from:
http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass51/macosx/
 8MB to transfer as dynamic libraries are used

If these binaries are usable, I'll move them into the standard
web space on grass.itc.it (and mirrors). Let me know.

Thanks to Christian Tiso/University of Trento to let me use his
Mac OS X machine.

Cheers

 Markus