[GRASS5] Re: OGR-enabled GDAL

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Aug 27 07:34:22 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:32:46AM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:
[...]
> > Point 5 involves moving the documentation into the module directories,
> > so it's rather more involved than the others.
>
> Documentation (at least manual pages) _is_ moved already to module directories,
> thanks to Markus, who has created the system generating man pages from
> options' description in the module + additional description.
> (Potential problem is cross compilation as you mentioned in other mail.)
> It works well. Regularly, Markus also tries to force me to write
> 'additional description' for new modules, but that does not work
> so well :)

I don't give up hope :-)

Here you can see all auto-generated manual pages (updated
every Saturday):
http://grass.itc.it/grass51/manuals/html51_user/index.html

inclusive full index and notes (new).
The script building these pages even tells you which modules
are missing the file 'description.html'.

Paul has made it portable, so I don't expect to many problems
(works at least on GNU/Linux, IRIX and Mac OSX).

The docs build process only fails on adding the menu parameters
in case "strange" things are done in the parser part of the
command. I tried to work around that but a few commands are
not updated yet. Probably the approach should be changed,
but at time it almost works.

Even images can be included now in the documentation, e.g.:
http://grass.itc.it/grass51/manuals/html51_user/photo.camera.html

Markus