[GRASS5] [bug #2238] (grass) r.series: support for wildcards in input filenames

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Dec 1 14:38:28 EST 2003

Request Tracker wrote:

> It would be nice if r.series would accept wildcards for the input maps.
>
> e.g.
> r.series input=insitu_data.* output=insitu_data.stddev method=stddev
>
> for:
> insitu_data.001
> insitu_data.002
> insitu_data.052

That may also true for several other modules; in which case, it might
be better to figure out how to build this into G_parser().

> such as the g.mremove script does. [0-9] expansions etc would be nice too, but not critical.

g.mremove is a shell script, which makes implementing shell
substitutions somewhat easier.

glibc has the glob() function, which is apparently specified by
POSIX.2, although I would be reluctant to just rely upon its existence
(e.g. it might not be present on all platforms, or it may require an
additional library).

> For now I use a bash loop to set INPUT_MAPS=$INPUT_MAPS,next_map then
> 'r.series input=$INPUT_MAPS ...', but that sort of sucks.
>
> Any reason not to activate this module for 5.3 yet?

Only the standard reason: once a module becomes "official", changing
its behaviour becomes problematic.