[GRASS5] update on grass5.7 installation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Dec 4 07:34:04 EST 2003

This is a note primarily for Marcus, who has been kind enough to
provide resources for testing GRASS 5.7 under Mac OSX. However, if
anyone else is trying this out, it may be helpful.

Yesterday was the first time I had a chance to try out the binary file
and library installation procedures on a "pristine" Mac (without all
the junk I've accumulated on mine). There are a few problems with the
library installations.

1) In the installation instructions, it says to install the Proj4
binaries by typing

tar cvfz proj-4.4.7cvs-macosx_bin.tar.gz

It ought to be

tar xvfz proj-4.4.7cvs-macosx_bin.tar.gz

2) The proj4 installation still doesn't copy the critical library
libproj.dylib to the /usr/loca/lib folder. I had to do so manually.
GRASS 5.7 will not start up without this library

3) GRASS 5.7 currently requires the GDAL library libgdal.1.1.dylib to
start up. However, the new GDAL binaries provided by Marcus are version
1.1.9. There is no libdgdal.1.1.dylib in the files  extracted from the
*.bin.gz. However, I made a link named libgdal.1.1.dylib directed at
libgdal.1.1.9.dylib and GRASS opened and seems to work fine. To avoid
this probelm in the future, I suggest that GRASS 5.7 look for the
libgdal.dylib link file that comes with the library and links to
whatever the newest version of the library  is, rather than looking for
the specific library.

Saludos
Michael Barton
C. Michael Barton, Professor