[GRASS5] libgrass license?

Allan Metts ametts2 at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 4 09:19:52 EST 2003

At 05:30 AM 12/3/2003, Radim Blazek wrote:
>  We use GPL, because it attracts users
>and developers to use GRASS and to contribute to GRASS project ;-)

In case you all are interested in an "outsider's" perspective, I'm a the
top technical guy at a startup software company.  I've barely used GRASS,
much less worked in the source code.

My product currently uses MapInfo and ESRI technology to do its thing.  I
like the safety and flexibility that comes with open source, and I would
love to get this product completely out of the Windows environment -- which
is why I've been lurking on the GRASS list.  But unfortunately, there's no
way I can release the source code that shows what we actually *do* with the
spatial data we're manipulating.

I don't think you have to have GPL to get worthwhile contributions to a
project.  If a GRASS library was used in my product, and I found a bug or
feature enhancement that was needed in this library,  I would address the
issue and contribute it back to the GRASS community.

A----