[GRASS5] libgrass license?

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Thu Dec 4 13:36:38 EST 2003

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 16:08, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:30:50AM +0100, Radim Blazek wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 December 2003 01:51, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> > > That said, the GPL nature of the GRASS 5 code base, and the licensing
> > > complications that implies are part of why I haven't spent much time
> > > updating libgrass and libgrass support in GDAL.
> >
> > Yes, I think that you had violated the license and so you have lost
> > the rights to use GRASS 5.
>
> Why do you think he had violated it precisely?

Frank changed the license from GPL to LGPL,
GPL: "4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program
except as expressly provided under this License.  Any attempt
otherwise to copy, modify, _sublicense_ or distribute the Program is
void, and will automatically _terminate_ your rights under this License."

> > We use GPL, because it attracts users
> > and developers to use GRASS and to contribute to GRASS project ;-)
>
> Your are retreating to sarcsam, because your arguments were refuted
> and you didn't have a better solution for the complicated problem.

If that what Frank has written, is not an argument for you, then
it realy doesn't make any sense to discuss that more.

Radim