[GRASS5] Re: 57 compile error

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 04:38:12 EST 2003

[Compiling GRASS 5.3 on Mac OSX 10.3]

> > CFLAGS="-Wall" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure \
> >   --enable-shared \
> >   --with-includes="/usr/X11R6/include /sw/include" \
> >   --with-libs="/usr/X11R6/lib /sw/lib" \
> >   --without-gd --without-proj --without-postgres \
> >   --with-gdal --with-readline --with-glw \
> >   --with-motif --with-cxx --with-odbc --with-freetype \
> >   --with-freetype-includes=/usr/X11R6/include/freetype2
>
> How did you install freetype? I am having trouble getting freetype to
> compile and I am wondering if it the fact that I have both freetype
> and freetype2 installed (from fink).

I installed both from Fink and whatever came with Apple's X11 + SDKs.

Note in the above config script I put /usr/X11R6/include [ie Apple's]
before /sw/include [ie Fink's] on both the global --with-includes and
--with-libs. This means that when I add --with-freetype below, it
searches for Apple's Freetype2 libraries first[??]. I still have to
specify the FT2 includes directory though. Most likely you are trying to
mix Fink's libraries with Apple's headers and getting a version
miss-match.

Couple of things to mention:
- You need freetype2, not freetype.
- Someone mentioned Fink's freetype is newer. I'm not sure about this.
Check the header (.h) files for MAJOR and MINOR versions. When I did
Apple's was newer, but this may have changed by now. Either way it
seems to work fine with the version included in Apple OSX 10.3.
- most likely Apple TrueType fonts won't work with the path= option, but
the ones included for Apple's Java install and many other 3rd party ones
will. I've had the same problem with Windows TTF's, don't know enough
about them to get 'em working.
- d.text.freetype still needs some polish (-c flag to set placement as %
of frame, match RGB colour selection to the d.vect.* way, etc).
Hopefully I'll get to this someday before the end of summer.

Hamish