[GRASS5] Changes between 5.0.1 release and current CVS head

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Feb 4 07:22:09 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 08:17:28PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > Don't know.
> >
> > Yes (index2.html doesn't exist any more on the web)
>
> If the URLs are meant to refer to the GRASS website, they should be
> absolute URLs. Bear in mind that these files are installed into
> $GISBASE/documents; relative URLs should only be used when the target
> is also in $GISBASE/documents.
>
> I think that I was getting confused with the following (from
> html/index.html):

> This URL is wrong for a local copy of index.html (".." doesn't make
> any sense from the top-level directory); it should be:

> If the GRASS website is layed out differently, then the file should be
> pre-processed for use on the web site.

I agree that the current file organization is a bit messy.
If someone updates the docs as desired/proposed, I'll fix the cronjobs
on grass.itc.it subsequently.

> > > Don't know.
> >
> > Wasn't the logic fixed recently?
>
> It was "fixed" so as to be harmless (the first attempt broke the case
> when the .c file was generated, e.g. by lex/yacc). However, it's far
> from correct: C++ files should use $(CXX) instead of $(CC), and
> $(CXXFLAGS) instead of $(CFLAGS). This would require changes to
> several other files (configure[.in], head.in).
>
> See my previous message:
>
> 	From: Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>
> 	Subject: Re: [GRASS5] C++ compilation
> 	Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:43:40 +0000

Ok, but if harmless we could upload it to enable people to compile
r.terraflow.

> > > Don't know.
> >
> > I have added this to avoid that GRASS continues when the user
> > hits CTRL-C while defining a new location. I never liked that
> > GRASS continues and generates a broken new location, when
> > I try to stop the create-location procedure.
> >
> > So, IMHO yes.
>
> Doesn't this belong in Init.sh, then? That's where the code in
> question is.

Maybe. But it already works. So probably we should add is additionally
to Init.sh?

The line in question is:

trap "echo 'User break!' ; exit" 2 3 9 15

> > > No.

> >         * src/imagery/i.ortho.photo/photo.rectify/write.c: changed write
> >         error to strerror(errno) as suggested by Glynn
> >
> > Is this dangerous? Of yes, it should be also reverted in HEAD.
>
> Two issues: Regarding the first message, I don't know how portable
> strerror() is; older BSDs don't have it.
>
> Regarding the second, the message is over 80 characters; also, you
> could reasonably argue for adding the same message to every module
> which writes files (i.e. most modules), which is really an argument
> for putting it lower down. Also, permissions definitely aren't an
> issue, as they are checked upon open and not upon write.

Ok, sounds as if it should be reverted.

> > > Yes.
> >
> > Note that "sphere" doesn't seem to work (will have to retry).
>
> Please do.

Will do.

Markus