[GRASS5] r.in.gdal and colors

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 5 22:30:51 EST 2003

Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:53:17AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
>
>>Moritz Lennert writes:
>> > Thanks that did it. Don't understand why I have to go through grey to get
>> > colors, but oh well...
>>
>>Makes no sense to me either.  If r.in.gdal splits an image up into R,
>>G, and B, then it ought to set the colormap for those rasters to
>>grey.  When would you ever want it otherwise??
>

> AFAICT, r.in.gdal only writes a color map if the image source has a
> color map.  This is not usually the case for RGB type images.
> The default color map in GRASS is a rainbow...

Eric / Russell,

Do you or others who get the Zen of GRASS better than I think r.in.gdal ought
to be writing a greyscale colortable for imported files without a colormap?
Should it only do this for multiband images?  Only for 8bit images?

I would be happy to make changes, but I don't want to imply color tables where
they don't exist unless it is widely accepted as the correct thing to do.

Best regards,