[GRASS5] r.in.gdal and colors

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Feb 5 23:20:46 EST 2003

Frank Warmerdam writes:
 > Do you or others who get the Zen of GRASS better than I think
 > r.in.gdal ought to be writing a greyscale colortable for imported
 > files without a colormap?

Yes.  The three rasters are not independent images, but are instead
the red, green, and blue planes of the imported image.  For that
reason, they should have greyscale colortables, and should be named
".r", ".g", and ".b" instead of .1, .2, and .3.

 > Should it only do this for multiband
 > images?  Only for 8bit images?

If it's an indexed image and comes with a colortable, then by all
means set the colortable.  Otherwise, if it's an RGB image, then the
resultant three rasters should be interpreted not as colors, but as
intensities.  And that means greyscale.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | You get prosperity when
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | the government does less,