[GRASS5] CygWIN: compilation of current CVS HEAD?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Feb 6 03:45:33 EST 2003

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > today we tried to compile the current CVS HEAD on Win2K/Cygwin
> > > and faced some strange problems happening in
> > > src/CMD/generic/gmake.sh
> > >
> > > We used
> > > sh -x /usr/local/bin/gmake5
> > > to see the problem.
> > > Probably it is related to the latest change for .cc files?
> > >
> > > Problem:
> > > The 'sort -u' in row 285 says "file not found".
> >
> > Is GNU "sort" installed? Does it appear first in the path?
> >
> > Otherwise, you may end up running the DOS sort.exe, which will try to
> > sort the file called "-u", and complain.
>
> This will be the reason - in parallel we found this solution
>
>     sort | uniq |
> is nicer than
>     sort -u
>
> Maybe the suggestion is more portable? It's not my machine, so I don't
> know right now if there is a DOS 'uniq.exe'.

There isn't, so Cygwin's (i.e. GNU) "uniq" will get used instead.

In any case, if you have the DOS tools (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\COMMMAND) in
the search path ahead of Cygwin's /bin directory, all manner of things
could go wrong[1], so there isn't much point in changing gmake.sh to
work around one specific symptom.

[1] e.g. using DOS' find.exe instead of GNU find definitely won't
work.