[GRASS5] g3d notes and possible bugs

John Harrop johnh at sjgeophysics.com
Fri Jan 10 20:28:23 EST 2003

Now the recent panic for getting products out is over I've had a chance
to look at the cause of the problem a little more.  If I narrow down the
region and make it completely sub-surface,  the program completes
without any problems.  We are working with a medium size regular block
model 134x90x60 with cells of varying size.  Some of the cells, perhaps
10%, are air and have null values.  I've tried with and without the air
blocks.  I would prefer to exclude them from the site file altogether,
but I thought that perhaps s.vol.rst was failing when it tried to
interpolate in a region of all or mostly air.

I'm now trying a 20x95x45 block well inside our data, which currently
includes -1 values for air cells.  (All subsurface values are positive).
 The processing reaches about 26% before failing with a segmentation
fault.  I may well be failing to set some parameters correctly, but that
shoudl not be causing a segmentation fault.

I gather from the man page that s.vol.rst is not doing 3d masking, but
rather projecting a 2d mask through all the depths.  Is there a way to
mask cells above the surface?

Command line and messages follow:

s.vol.rst input=block3.chg elev=rst.test.2

Warning: some points outside of region -- will ignore...
Warning: strip exists with insufficient data

Processing all selected output files
will require 7600 bytes of disk space for temp files

Warning: there are points outside specified region--ignored 450036 points
Percent complete:
Warning: taking too long to find points for interpolation--please change
the region to area where your points are

Segmentation fault

Regards,
John Harrop