[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0.0 Binary update ?

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Tue Jan 21 03:33:57 EST 2003

Dear Glynn,

> > I often experience that people have problems with
> > NVIZ using the stable GRASS5.0.0 binaries on Linux
> > distributions with TclTk8.4.
> >
> > I think it is already fixed in CVS since october,
> > but the binaries are from Sep-2002.
> >
> > Would it be possible to update GRASS5.0.0 ?
>
> Note that any given binary version of NVIZ will only work with the
> specific version of Tk for which it was compiled. E.g. a binary
> version which was built for Tk 8.4 will only work with Tk 8.4; it
> won't work with Tk 8.3. Tk 8.3 is still a lot more widespread than
> Tk 8.4, so a Tk 8.4 version would really need to be in addition to a
> Tk 8.3 version, not instead of it.

Of course you are right, but in my opinion an additional version would
be useful, as there are quite some people working with Tk 8.4, at least
if they chose SuSe 8.1 (which is common in germany). Redhat I guess
still
uses Tk 8.3 in their 8.0 version, but anyway, it will just be a matter
of time (months?).

Further, if you think of those starting to learn GRASS GIS in a
GNU/Linux
environment. They probably don't want to install an old distribution
or start compiling GRASS from CVS.

> Ultimately, binary distributions depend upon someone taking the time
> to build them, so a binary distribution for Tk 8.4 will only happen if
> someone with Tk 8.4 decides to build one. I suspect that most of the
> people who would consider building a binary distribution (which isn't
> the same thing as compiling GRASS for your own use) are still using
> systems with Tk 8.3; my experience is that developers tend to be more
> reluctant to upgrade than end users

OK, never change a running system ;-). I understand your point but
developers probably won't install a binary version at all.

I do not want to cause a lot of extra work, so implying Bernhard
Reiter's answer, if you decide to upgrade to a number 5.0.1
I could offer to compile a Tk 8.4 Version from sources if this
is welcome.(maybe someone can send me a link where to find the rules).

thanks for your answer
  Otto