[GRASS5] How to use CVS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jan 29 09:20:40 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 01:44:54PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Also several developers with granted CVS write access do not use it (for
> personal or technical or other reasons),

I'd like to hear more of that reasons in detail.

CVS is a lot less difficult than coding itself.
I've personally helped everybody who asked me to set write access up.

> I am mostly committing for them (sometimes also Glynn).

Maybe you should resist in more cases. :)

> That means that only a few contributors actively
> work with CVS. One reason I have heard from a few potential CVS writers
> is that they found CVS already too complicated or had too many troubles
> to set up the ssh-CVS etc.

Please report CVS difficulties like this to me or the list.
CVS and setting up the access is not overly complicated
and we are happy to explain it.

> When now increasing the frequency of closing
> and opening new release branches, these potential CVS writers will probably
> not start to actively use CVS.
> We should keep things simple and clearly arranged.

GRASS already is a huge project.
Keeping a stable and maintained code base
with several active developers is complicated and requires some disciplin.
Our CVS approach is quite simple compared to the task.