[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0.1 released

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jan 29 10:52:32 EST 2003

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > The rule to only fix release critical bugs on a release branch
> > in itself is fine.
> > We just have to go for a fresh release from the CVS HEAD sooner
> > which should be about bug fixes and minor feature enhancements only
> > anyway.
>
> This is not clear to me, sorry. When creating a new branch from HEAD,
> all fixes including new features such as the long awaited datum
> transformation etc will reach it (or not?). Or do we count all
> as bug fixes and minor feature enhancements?

The problem with creating a new release branch from HEAD is that it
will contain *everything* which has been committed to HEAD. Anything
which isn't suitable for release would have to be explicitly reverted.

IMHO, anything which breaks backward compatibility with the previous
version shouldn't go in without a compelling reason.