[GRASS5] [bug #1998] (grass) cannot start tcltkgrass: xwininfo error

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Jul 4 11:02:43 EDT 2003

Request Tracker wrote:

> Subject: cannot start tcltkgrass: xwininfo error
>
> Platform: WindowsNT/2000/XP
> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> grass binary for platform: Downloaded precompiled Binaries
> GRASS Version: GRASS 5.0.2 (April 2003)
>
> I cannot start tcltkgrass.
>
> 1. In cygwin window, I typed: startxwin.bat
> 2. In X terminal, I started GRASS with: grass5
> 3. I typed: tcltkgrass &, then the following popup appears
>
> Title: Error in startup script
> Message:
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xwinfo: error: No such window with id 0x24030c. while executing

Ensure that you are using a Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk, such as the
"xtcltk" package from the GRASS site. tcltkgrass will not work with a
Windows version of Tcl/Tk, nor with Cygwin's Tcl/Tk package.

If you have multiple versions of Tcl/Tk installed, getting tcltkgrass
to use the correct version can be complicated. Uninstalling Cygwin's
Tcl/Tk package will solve this problem; however, a number of Cygwin
packages (notably Cygwin's version of gdb) won't work without the
Cygwin Tcl/Tk package.