[GRASS5] proj changes for releasebranch?

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon Jul 7 06:49:44 EDT 2003

On Friday 04 July 2003 17:46, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Creating a branch is simple enough. It would be maintained by the
> developers who are currently choosing to make significant changes to
> 5.0.x rather than migrating to the "grass51" tree (which seems to be
> everyone except Radim).

Just to be more precise, here are contributions 1-6/2003
(from grass-commit archive)
author  grass50/grass51
alex          2/13
bob          28/0
cho          15/1
eric         11/0
glynn       207/2
hamish       50/2
markus      275/856
mike         26/0
paul        170/45
radim        13/547

> In that sense, there isn't any difference between allowing non-bug-fix
> changes to 5.0.x and creating a 5.1.x branch;

I think that to change the meaning of 5.1 now, is not the best idea.
Could it be some different name? 5.1/2.x or 5.0,5.x or 5.0B.x or ?

> the difference is
> whether end users (most of whom aren't going to be moving to grass51
> soon) can get the bug fixes without potentially destabilising
> upgrades.

To get idea about users' interest in 5.1, here are downloads in 2003
from grass.itc.it (successful downloads, no downloads done by mirrors,
no downloads from mirrors):

GRASS 5.1 Linux Binaries downloads in 2003 (only grass.itc.it):
 1168 successful downloads from 307 different sites
GRASS 5.1 source code downloads in 2003 (only grass.itc.it):
  538 successful downloads from 245 different sites

Moritz, do you still have the results of your questionary,
I think that new vectors were mentioned as wish quite often.

Radim