[GRASS5] ps.map changes

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Tue Jul 8 03:03:18 EDT 2003

On Monday 07 July 2003 08:31, H Bowman wrote:
> Hi - I've made some changes to ps.map locally and wanted to give people
> a chance to object before I put them in CVS, as they are not bug fixes
> per se. I think they make the output look better though.
>

> * grid lines:  place on top of all map layers but below all labels,
> tags, text, etc. Currently hidden by filled vector areas.
>
> * floating point legends:  flip them so the biggest value is at the top
> and the smallest is at the bottom. Currently looks sort of weird,
> especially for elevation or if you have negative values. I didn't do it
> as an option as I haven't been able to think of a time when I'd want it
> smallest first. Also shorten the tick lines a little bit. Categorical
> legends remain smallest value at top.
>
> * text:  default to fontsize 10 if no size is given. Currently it just
> "fails" silently with fontsize 0.  I don't think this confuses the
> meaning of the size parameter (given in meters), and is a bit handier
> than 'comments' for one-liners.
>
> * mapinfo:  add background color/none option. Currently opaque white
> block.

OK, useful improvements.

I would only mention that ps.map is already
upgraded to 5.1, so it would be nice (but it is not obligatory of course),
if you could do these changes in 5.1 as well.

Bob Covill is also working on ps.map, he added some nice features like
geogrid, optionaly read raster legend from different map etc.
He is going to submit his changes to 5.1. Consider to get into contact with him
to avoid conflicts in the code.

Radim