[GRASS5] QGIS + GRASS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jul 14 09:40:57 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:59:55AM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2003 15:02, Paul Kelly wrote:
> > I thought someone would have replied to this by now but they haven't so I
> > will. Radim- do you think QGIS could be *the* GUI for GRASS?
>
> It will be one of GUIs for GRASS, and it could be *the* GUI at least
> for X-Windows. But this I would left to natural evolution.
> GUI was discussed many times in this list, without any conclusion.
> If the right toolkit is not obvious, we can try more. It is not
> my suggestion for future development, it is just the situation
> we have now, short summary:
> - grass/unused/tcltkgrass (it is realy viewer, not menu for commands)
> - d.dm/d.m
> - GRASS/Qt
> - I know about people working on Java based interface. Are you here?
> - GUI for iPAQ written by Carl Worth
> - once I have seen a screenshot of complete nice GUI for GRASS,
>   but it was not released as open source yet (can we see the screenshot Marcus?)
> - I started Java interface 2 years ago, it was pure java (no c code)
>   (http://mpa.itc.it/radim/g50/gratia.jpg)
> - QGIS+GRASS

For the OSSIM grass bridge we had started on a python interface
to the libgrass5.  It wasn't completed, see an old screenshot at:
ftp://intevation.de/users/bernhard/ossimbridge

What was also started at this point was the possiblity
of grass commands to output information about the needed parameters.
This would allow GUIs to build simple interfaces automatically
for commands. Probably this still is a good idea to help
GUI development in the long run.