[GRASS5] Prompt on transferring GRASS commands to library functions

Shifeng ZHANG zsfdev at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 12:08:17 EDT 2003

Hi,

With the application of GRASS in our own project, we found the command-oriented GRASS application is not suitable for our further development. Our project is a distributed application system which is built on the CORBA. So generally, we hope we can make use of GRASS as a static or shared library, the library can not only read/write raster and vector databases (like the Standalone GRASS Library did), but also do many functions as the commands used in today's GRASS (such as the interpolation methods, s.surf.*).

Currently we are working on that, about 15 GRASS commands (that are what our project needed) were transformed to the library calls which can be used directly by non-GRASS applications. I want to know whether other persons or teams work on the similar work, and we can share the experiences and results. We think it is still a long way to finish it for all the grass commands or generate the library-based grass, however, it is a work deserving to do it.

You can contact me if you feel interesting about our work.

Shifeng