[GRASS5] adding a new datum/projection?

H Bowman hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 01:59:47 EDT 2003

Hi again --

I've got some new data in yet another new projection, which uses its own
new datum.

The datum is New Zealand Geodetic Datum 2000 (NZGD2000), which is based
on the International Terrestrial Reference Frame 1996 (ITRF96). This is
pretty much the same as WGS84 but uses the GRS80 ellipsoid (slightly
different flattening parameter).

So as far as I understand: NZGD2k (==ITRF96) is the WGS84 datum combined
with the GRS80 ellipsoid.

Except g.setproj won't let me do that, either with a new location or
retroactively. The old 5.0.2 version asks for ellipsoid first, then
datum, but complains when you try to mix wgs84 and grs80 and quits
without writing anything. The latest g.setproj never gives you a chance
to set the ellipsoid, it is chosen from your datum.

I'm not sure if I get the correct result if I just change the ellps:
line to grs80 in the PROJ_INFO file?

Is anything else based on ITRF96? Would it be worth adding that as a
common denominator datum? I think the Map Grid of Australia might be in
a similar situation (??).

see:  (102k)
http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/17880/difference_wgs84_nzgd2000.pdf

As for the new projection, it is New Zealand Transverse Mercator (NZTM),
which is in terms of that new NZGD2k datum.
Details: