[GRASS5] GRASS5.1: d.what.vect very slow over ssh connection

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Jun 3 06:35:08 EDT 2003

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> I sometimes connect from home to my work computer via ssh and launch 5.1
> through this connection with X forwarding. Everything works quite well,
> except for d.what.vect which is extremely slow in starting up and in
> giving back the cross cursor after displaying information about an object.
>
> Any ideas why this would be ?

Because someone decided to add a gimmick (flashing the selected line)
to d.what.vect without thinking about how it would impact the X
bandwidth.

The code involves saving and restoring the entire window contents via
a file, which means transferring the data over the X connection (in
both directions, multiple times).

Note: I didn't merge these changes into the release branch for this
reason. I suggest that you simply use an older version.