[GRASS5] sites (not) in 5.1

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 15:18:38 EDT 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> The idea is to not delay 5.2 too much as vector is already there.

But sites isn't. That's the major off-putting factor for me; I use sites
all the time especially as the ASCII format is so totally simple and
transparent and easy to deal with. Also there is substantial sites
functionality that isn't present in 5.1 or else requires re-learning how
to do things. I'm not sure though; is there s.sample, s.surf.idw,
s.voronoi, things like that in the 5.1 vector functionality? Maybe there
is.

But it will be a big wrench to have to stop using the sites format. I'm
not sure of the main reasons for leaving it out (that was before I used
GRASS and one reason why I wanted to look at the old developers mailing
list). At the time the decision was made, was it presumed that there would
be enough programmer labour available to re-implement all the sites
functionality of 5.0 in the 5.1 vector functions and modules? I can't see
this happening although I'm not saying I wouldn't help if I thought it was
a worthwhile effort.

Paul