[GRASS5] Fw: Use of LINZ grid file

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 23 12:19:03 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 04:55:12PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>
> > Does the data come with all the the necessary freedoms
> > for everybody to use, modify, adapt and publish it?
> >
> > We might need a public or written statement.
> > The general statement below for the software does not
> > explicitely allow redistribution. It would be better if they
> > were using a known Free Software license (like X11 license in this case).
> >
> > The email about the license could be interpreted as
> > that you (or we), but not everybody else gets that permission,
> > it would be better of they stated the conditions more clearly
> > in the distribution archive or on the website.
>
> 'It would be better........' but it's adequate the way it is, right?

Thinking a few more minutes about it, I believe the email you've got
might be okay and "use freely" can reasonably interpreted as
permission to distribute and publish modifications.

> Should we have a special text file in the directory where the grid shift
> files are stored, explaining the licensing conditions for each one?
>
> The USA and Canada files were added last year I think and probably they
> also are provided under some similar free distribution terms.
>
> Maybe someone can undertake to check this up and collect all the terms /
> conditions into one file.

This would be important, yes.

Everybody checking stuff into the CVS (for the official part of the
sources) should be responsible
that the license is compatible with the license of GRASS.
If the license is difference from the GNU GPL, it needs to be
documented properly.