[GRASS5] Towards a 5.1.0 experimantal release

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 16 13:03:54 EDT 2003

Markus also told me that GRASS 5.1 and its vector format is
stable in production use for months at ITC.

There have been many plans what should be added for 5.1,
but not much development help for Radim or Markus.

I therefore propose that
we should make the improved vector support of GRASS 5.1
as designed and implemented by Radim
the main focus of the 5.2 release.

There is no reason to not bring this improved vector
capabilities to a broader audience for testing and then production use.

This means:
We would try to go for a real experimental release (5.1.0) tarball.
Therefore we should move modules over by procedure to be defined
and call a freeze on major features for 5.2.

For each module fully declared moved to 5.1
the development focus will change.
Developments then have to take place in the 5.1 tree
and focus on getting 5.1. ready for release.

If we all agree on the general plan
we could start making a list of modules that need to be moved
and necessary cleanup steps that we might want to perform
in the move. Note that if people don't help with this,
the modules that will be fully supported in 5.1
will be decided by the active people
according to their time and interests.

	Bernhard