[GRASS5] TODOs - Wishes for 5.0.3

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue May 27 16:43:52 EDT 2003

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> since we have a long list of new developments/improvements in
> CVS HEAD, it's time to think about the next release.
> Question is what we would like to see in 5.0.3 and
> what should go into 5.1/5.2 instead.
>
> What I would like to see in 5.0.3:
> - the new PROJ4 related code with datum transformation
> - the NVIZ changes (more to come the next days, basically
>    related to code cleanup)

The nviz additions are great (especially the legend, north arrow and
labels)
but it needs more testing as I did only very little.
I found that the relative position of the multiple surfaces has shifted
-
this may be due to changes in vector draping ? (allowing draping
slightly above the surface to ensure full visibility - another
extremely valuable addition). So if more people could try-out
the latest nviz in CVS version that would help to make sure that nothing
gets broken for the release..

> - many small things, to be checked with cvs diff to
>   the release branch
> - r.terraflow, r.simwe, ...?

I still need to update the recent Laura's change so that it compiles on
RedHat
and I need to add manual page for simwe. Also I haven't really tested
the latest
version. Maybe these two should wait for 5.0.4

Jaro emailed me s.surf.rst with crossvalidation (he did it really fast)
but again I have not been able to test it so that would be something to
consider
for 5.0.4 as well.

Also I was wondering whether it would be useful to include r.recolor
and d.site.labels from
 http://grass.itc.it/outgoing/SJGeo.tar.gz
and r.wavelets into CVS so that it is easier for people to try them out.
I am not sure whether any of these tools are under development for 5.1
(in particular histogram equalized color tables and writing rotated site
labels
may be something that users would appreciate).

Helena