[GRASS5] Oups! Problem in CVS

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Wed Nov 5 17:29:14 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:29:32PM +0000, Paul Kelly wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I have verified yes too : the problem was on my side. The `cvs
> > update -dP' did not apply correctly on my client (for a reason I've not
> > tracked down yet) and since the 5.0 is to be released soon I emitted
> > the alert _before_ verifying that what I had was really what was on the
> > server.
>
> I committed the changes to the (experimental) CVS HEAD so there was no
> chance of them going into the released 5.0.3 version

I thought that, implicitely, 5.0 was "feature frozen" hence that there
was only bug-fixes so in this case for me HEAD == TO_BE_RELEASED (at
least for src.garden since this is not to be continued in 5.7, right?).

What did I miss? And how the fixes can be tested if this is not
released? I was puzzled to see that in several years nobody hit the
bugs I've hit in my _first_ attempt to import a .DBF and concluded that
my chance has been to have to create first a GIS not having anything to
import from alien sources and that the ones who have tested GRASS trying
to import data have simply given up on the first attempt.

So may I say that these fixes are "hot fixes" and should be released
ASAP?

And unfortunately, the bugs I have fixed are different from the two ones
reported in the bug tracking system (or, to be more precise, I have made
a fix for these ones _too_ but this is only a partial fix and as you
have suspected, problems are not limited to pg.in.dbf but impact _all_
programs using the DBF library) [this was the theme of the message I've
sent this week-end about abstract data].
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>