[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0.3 released

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Nov 7 11:35:29 EST 2003

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

>>>GRASS has quite a conservative user base.
>>>That is something that always was a concern for Markus, too.
>>>Beside that the code base is gigantic.
>>
>>It is perhaps too late but it took me some time (and the great help of
>>Hamish's advices) to understand the organization of code/CVS.
>>
>>May I say that, for me, now, the simplest way (separating difficulties)
>>should be first to stop indeed _all_ additions to 5.x
>

> This is already in place for many 5.x lines with x<7.
>
> 5.0.x is only for "critical" bug fixes.
> 5.1 and 5.2 is discontinued.
> 5.3.x has some improvement, but is only bugfixing.

I would say that 5.3. has some substantial improvements in terms
of projection capabilities, nviz and addition of some new modules.
We are using it quite intensively and it is very stable for the things
that we do (of course that is just a small part of GRASS). As Paul
has mentioned in one of his previous messages, 5.3 is probably
better tested than the current 5.0.3 because more developers use it.
So if we have anybody who has the knowledge to do the 5.3 release
I would very much recommend doing it soon (maybe it is already ready?)
and then move on to 5.7. There is just too much good and important
new stuff in 5.3 to leave it unreleased.

that is just my opinion,

Helena