[GRASS5] Grass 5 new releases

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Nov 9 16:19:25 EST 2003

Scott W Mitchell wrote:

> The main "problem" with the approach is that it used statically linked
> libraries which meant that the binary distribution was HUGE.  Markus
> recently succeeded to get the CVS version of GRASS to compile with shared
> libraries, if I recall correctly.  However, I don't have the information
> on how he managed to do this.  So, much as I hesitate to bother Markus
> with more requests, Markus, if you have more up to date information and/or
> scripts that you could share with us from your OS X adventures, can you
> pass them on so hopefully we can help keep OS X versions built without as much
> intervention from you ?

GRASS 5.0/5.3 already supports shared libraries on Linux using the
alternate build mechanism in the "mk" directory; see mk/README for
more information.

You might want to see what would be involved in porting
mk/mid.mk.shlib to MacOSX. If the difference between creating a static
library and a shared library is simply a matter of:

a) compilation flags, and
b) the command to create a library from a list of object files,

then it should be straightforward.