[GRASS5] Re: Feature-Request: Prompt for PostGIS-connection

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon Nov 10 04:38:41 EST 2003

On Friday 07 November 2003 18:46, Martin Pokorny wrote:
> Transactions were already implemented, and I didn't change that.

And that is the problem I think. Try just to take original code and
remove BEGIN and COMMIT from V1_write_line_post (write_post.c),
insert BEGIN to V1_open_new_post (open_post.c) and
insert COMMIT to V1_close_post (close_post.c).
See also http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/2130

> Not that I have any experience in this area, but I am under the
> impression that once GRASS data is in PostGIS, it would become easier
> to use from outside of GRASS (say, MapServer).

Yes, but it works only for points and lines and a view must be created
to get everything (geometry + attributes) in one table.
Any Web GIS application (MapServer) is usually a lot of work and
it is using limited number of layers, to do v.out.ogr for those
few layres is not problem, vector data are not big.
It is bigger problem for rasters, which are huge and cannot be effectively
shared by GRASS and Mapserver. I am not sure if using PROCESSING "BANDS=1,2,3"
and grasslib can solve this partialy.

Radim