[GRASS5] Postgres text

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Wed Nov 12 11:28:23 EST 2003

Anybody has idea, how to support postgres type 'text', in dbmi-pg driver?

I know about 3 solutions and I don't like any of them:

1) Don't support text type (ignore such fields and print warning)
2) Assign some fixed length to text field (and print warning) like OGR(?).
   This way users can simply lose data.
3) Add DB_SQL_TYPE_TEXT to GRASS. The problem is, that text is not supported by
   dbf driver, so any attempt to copy tables with text to dbf fails.
   This also means to make more changes in existing modules and libraries.

Note: max(char_length(name)) cannot be used as table name is not known and
would be inconsistent for one table but different queries.

Radim