[GRASS5] SEARCH_PATH

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Fri Nov 14 10:13:40 EST 2003

Hamish wrote:

> Do you mean:
> d.rast rastmap at othermapset

Well, you can put additionnal mapsets, via g.mapsets, but you can also
create under your location (directory) symbolic links pointing to, for
example, a nfs mounted tree, and add this symbolic link name to the file
SEARCH_PATH (or via g.mapsets) meaning that one is not restricted to her
own LOCATION or to the inside of the GRASS database.

Yes, as Glynn says this _can_ be messy if people do this without knowing
exactly what they do, but this is a mean, not more dirty than others if
used with reflexion, to indeed "escape" GRASS database in order to
access "remote" data.

One can also use it (but I would not emphasize the possibility in the
user's manual, but only in the admin's one) to see some MAPSETS of
other LOCATIONS (for example to display a vector/raster overlay).
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>