[GRASS5] Gmake is not Gnu Make

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Mon Nov 17 14:51:31 EST 2003

Shouldn't we advertize the fact that Gmake and Gmakefiles stand for
_G_rass makefiles and that these makefiles are POSIX compatible i.e. use
only few features that let them be scanned by GNUmake or Pmake (BSD)?

The FreeBSD package for example has:

USE_GMAKE=      yes

The fact is that, _now_, the name is misleading.

What are the plans for the future? Keep this compatibility (I'm
personnally against automake and the hell) or use more elaborate (why?)
features that will not be portable?
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>