[GRASS5] Structure of an optimal grass installation

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Nov 20 15:49:05 EST 2003

Jens Oberender wrote:

> What is the structure of an optimal grass installation (under linux as I
> don't know what it's like on different unixs)?
>
> /usr/bin/grass5
> /opt/bin/d.* (all binaries)
> /opt/lib/libgrass* (all libs)
> /opt/documents/* (all html files)
> /usr/share/man/man1/d.*.1 (all man pages)
>
> About that way?

No. Everything except for the grass5 script should go into a single
directory. The grass5 script should set GISBASE to that directory.

> I would prefer /opt as it's the right place for optional, big packages.

In which case, use /opt/grass5; i.e. "configure --prefix=/opt" (the
grass5 subdirectory is added automatically).

As for the manual pages, add /opt/grass5/man to MANPATH. If you want
the HTML documents to be accessible from a standard location, create a
symlink, e.g.:

	ln -s /opt/grass5/documents /opt/documents/grass5