[GRASS5] Structure of an optimal grass installation

Jens Oberender grass at troja.net
Fri Nov 21 04:43:21 EST 2003

Hi again

> > What is the structure of an optimal grass installation (under linux as I
> > don't know what it's like on different unixs)?
> >
> > /usr/bin/grass5
> > /opt/bin/d.* (all binaries)
> > /opt/lib/libgrass* (all libs)
> > /opt/documents/* (all html files)
>
> With this setup, you are mixing libraries and binaries from diffierent
> 3rd-party packages, which most likely will give you some headaches
> sometime (ie if you install grass57 and grass5). The point of GRASS
> having it's own library/binary directories is to avoid this (otherwise
> you would dump them in /usr/local/lib or /usr/local/bin etc.

I made a mistake the path should be /opt/grass5.
So that be fine:

/usr/bin/grass5
%{prefix}/grass5/bin
%{prefix}/grass5/lib
%{prefix}/grass5/man
%{prefix}/grass5/documents

And prefix depends on eachs taste or the distribution.

> The only real issue is that you need to set the manpath manually if you
> want to read man pages outside the grass shell.

They aren't needed outside, so it's OK to put them under
%{prefix}/grass5/man.

> Well, that depends if the package ships with your unix or not. Since
> Mandrake has GRASS packages in contrib, they are part of the distro, and
> don't belong in /opt, so I put the grass distribution in /usr/lib/grass5
> (Mozilla is in /usr/lib/mozilla-$VER, OpenOffice.org is in
> /usr/lib/openoffice already to set the precedent), with only the grass5
> script in /usr/bin.

SUSE Linux uses /opt for those packages, but has no grass.

By the way could you send me the spec file you are using for the Mandrake
packages (5.3 and 5.7), I would like to build some packages for SUSE but
didn't manage to build grass clean.

--
Ciao
	Jens Oberender