[GRASS5] Feature-Request: Prompt for PostGIS-connection

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Thu Oct 2 05:25:11 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 18:15, Stephan Holl wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> during using PostGIS in GRASS5.7

You are realy using PostGIS in GRASS, i.e. geometry in PostGIS, not only
attributes in Postgres? Does it work well? Can you tell us for what
kind of tasks? Server on the same computer or over the network.
Last time we tried to use that, we found it so slow, that we had to switch to
native format.

> I stumbled over a clear password entry
> using module v.format and PostGIS.
> My Postgres-User who acts with PostGIS and GRASS has a Password and in
> order to make this connection work I have to enter my passwd in
> cleartext.
>
> Would that be possible to prompt for a password, if one is needed when
> trying to connect  and not exporting it via gg.gisnev.
> g.gisenv store=mapset set=GV_FORMAT=POSTGIS
> g.gisenv store=mapset
> set=GV_PGIS_DATABASE=host=192.168.0.90,dbname=postgis,user=grassuser,pa
> ssword=xxx

This problem needs systematic solution. Dbmi drivers are using a hack,
if cannot connect to db, dialog is opened, and user asked for password.
Example: db/drivers/postgres/db.c.
Have you seen that? Try to put attributes to Postgres protected by password
and query a vector. That works only for one connection,
the main problem is, I think, where to store password during the session.

Radim