[GRASS5] Problems compiling grass51/57 on cygwin

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 12:22:23 EDT 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, John Gillette wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> > I'm sure I read somewhere that you must use NTFS or else
> > GRASS will not
> > work but maybe there's another problem...
> >

> On http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/
>
> Prerequisites:
> You need three major requirements to run GRASS 5 on Windows:
>
>   Windows NT 4.0 (SP3 or higher), Windows 2000 Professional with NTFS or Windows XP
>   (Windows 9x and Windows ME are unsupported),
>
>   Cygwin installation (Cygnus tools for Windows),
>
>   Only Xserver/winGRASS version: X Window Server.
>

> Perhaps if you don't look at the "binary" download section you will
> miss this information.

See here:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/cygwin_grass50compile.html
It specifically says 'FAT will not work!'

I have now added this message also to the page
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/wingrass.html
(see CVS version
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/web/wingrass.html )

Paul