[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0.3 release candidate 4 (RC4) available

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 04:08:32 EDT 2003

> > * I'm unsure if we should package all code that actually is not used
> >   in the tarball. We still have it in the CVS.
> >   Like src.garden/grass.java, unused, src.todo and some other stuff
> >   from src.garden and src.contrib.
> >   I suggest to not package them.
>
> It it should be removed from the release branch.

I'd argue for keeping it in, otherwise new/experimental/inspiration code
never gets tried by anyone but the very adventurous. Having it CVS-only
puts the barrier too high for beginners at GRASS coding. It will only
exist for those compiling from source, the sort of person who'd probably
end up using 'gmake5' for little things anyway. The binaries won't
change size. Let the 5.7 cvs sort out the old & unused code from the
still experimental; pretty much everything in the 5.0.x branch applies
to 5.0.x, no? Is there lots of unported 4.3 left?

Certaintly leave everything in the 5.3 snapshots.

2c,
Hamish