[GRASS5] [bug #2155] (grass) integrating GRASS r.mapcalc with MPI

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Oct 14 12:09:35 EDT 2003

You can try to write to Christoph who has already written some GRASS code
for MPI
christoph.troyer at jrc.it
I put his parallel version of s.surf.rst at
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grasscontrib/
rstmods2fixed.tar.gz
I haven't submitted it yet as it needs more testing and I am not sure whether
it should go into 5.3 or 5.7 and it may also require some discussion
on developers list how to handle MPI code in general.

Helena

here are some of Christoph's notes:
I modified 'configure.in' such that configure would test whether MPI is
installed. Actually it tries to find 'mpicc', which comes with most
MPI implementations and which is a wrapper for cc. If you use mpicc
you don't have to worry about the location of your MPI libraries and
headers.
If mpicc exists the compiler will generate an additional executable
called 's.surf.rst.mp'.

To start the program on let's say 4 processors just type

    mpirun -np 4 s.surf.rst.mp [options]

on one of the machines in your cluster.