[GRASS5] C and C++ compiler changes?

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Thu Oct 23 09:54:59 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:06:35AM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> I wrote my remark on the first two postings
> because they could give the false impression that GNU compiler
> and C libraries are somewhat unstable. Actually gcc and GNU libc
> are very stable and reliable on the C part in the overall picture.
> The original postings were not making clear that most statements
> were geared towards the C++ situation, which indeed is not as
> stable as everybody likes. I credit some of those difficulties
> to the C++ language. :)

Life is strange some days ;) Here I can be thought as a GNU disliker
when today, at work, we have received a message from a software
compagny that has proposed a... GIS software, that I have tested (since
I'm the only one with some development knowledge) and refused, having
prefered, for _technical reasons_, GRASS, and in this message that was
sent to the only email address of our little structure and was meant to
be read only by my boss, they explain that _I_ have discarded their
software because I'm biased (I'm a well known Unix and libre software
fighter) and that my boss should not trust me since I'm not competent
and I'm (this is written white on black): an arsehole!!! (en français
dans le texte : "Ce mec est un trou de bal (sic).").

Unfortunately, I have done the job with GRASS, and the customer is
delighted (and to my surprise has appreciated that the work was done
with GRASS since "it's better to have software you have full control
over").
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>