[GRASS5] Solaris, GRASS 5.1, and Proj

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 15:43:01 EDT 2003

Hello

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Wallace, Beverly T wrote:

> Hi Grass Developers,
>
> I am trying to build the experimental GRASS 5.1.
>
> I downloaded the 2003_09_06 snapshots for 5.0 and 5.1.
> I successfully built 5.0.
> I am using a Sun with Solaris 9, gcc version 2.95.3, and GNU make.
> I used configure --with-motif --without-postgres --without-odbc --without-fftw --without_gdal.
>
> (1)  When I tried to configure with proj, configure failed while trying to find proj_api.h.  But proj_api.h does not exist in either snapshot.  So I added --without_proj to the configure.

You need to have an external PROJ library from remotesensing.org
installed, version 4.4.6 or later. GRASS 5.7 (as it is now) does not
include the internal copy of PROJ any more so an external PROJ is an
absolute requirement. This should probably be documented somewhere; I'm
not familiar with all the 5.1/5.7 documentation and am not sure where is
the best place; can you suggest a file this information could be added to?

> (2)  There is no setenv function for Solaris.  I solved that by adding a setenv function in lib/db/dbmi_client/start.c.

No setenv in IRIX either. It was suggested to me before to replace
setenv() by putenv() and I recall that that worked. I haven't had that
particular error compiling on IRIX; maybe I have disabled something in
configure that doesn't compile that part of the database code.

> (3)  It then fails in lib/proj with the message
> 	proj_api.h: No such file or directory
> Is there supposed to be a proj_api.h file?
> Since I configured without-proj, why is it trying to compile lib/proj?

(See above) It is set up that you are expected to have PROJ; quite a lot
of modules depend on it and it would need more changes to all their
Makefiles to disable compiling them if PROJ was not present. But could be
done if we decided it was worthwhile. The PROJ library is small and easy
to compile and install however.

Paul Kelly