[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:1204] Compilation errors

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 15:59:31 EDT 2003

Hello Bill

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Bill Dickinson Jr wrote:

> Hey there:
>
> While compiling from source for OS X, I received the following
> compilation errors.
>
> Compilation error in module: src/general/g.region (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/imagery/i.points3 (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.digit (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.in.gshhs (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.mkquads (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.proj (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/misc/m.proj2 (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.in.gdal (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.proj (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.sun (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.sunmask (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/sites/s.proj (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src.contrib/GMSL/NVIZ2.2 (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/display/d.text.freetype (ignored)
>
> I used the standard configure options. I'm guessing this means that
> none of these modules will be available to me within GRASS, so it
> would be nice to know why there were compilation errors and how to
> correct them.

You need to send some of the actual error messages from the output of the
'make' command. Send them to the developers' mailing list at
grass5 at grass.itc.it (you need to be subscribed to that list before posting
to it). Without the more details I could take a stab at guessing the cause
of the errors but may be totally wrong.

The first 12 in the list use the proj library in GRASS. There have been a
lot of changes and fixes to the proj library, and if you update to the CVS
HEAD (to be version 5.3.0) the problems will likely go away.

In particular I am thinking if you have an external PROJ.4 library
installed on your system, that will cause problems because of the order in
which libraries are searched on MacOS X. If you don't need your external
PROJ installation you could delete it (in particular a file something like
libproj.dylib) and try again.

NVIZ and d.text.freetype don't use PROJ, so please post the full error
messages from them. And note that NVIZ in CVS HEAD is substantially
improved from NVIZ in 5.0.2 and 5.0.3 if you are going to be making a lot
of use of it.

Paul