[GRASS5] Update: 5.0.3-cvs -> 5.3.0-cvs

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 09:24:19 EDT 2003

> The current (and desired) situation is now:
> We have
>
>  - 5.0.3 release_branch (RC3 at time, waiting for release)
>  - 5.3.0-cvs: new PROJ engine, modified NVIZ, G3D updated
>               tons of fixes
>  - 5.7.0-cvs: former 5.1, new vector engine, DBMS support etc
>
> The 5.7.0-cvs instructions should refer to 5.3.0, I tried to
> update the relevant texts such as INSTALL etc.
>
> Please make further updates if needed.
>
> After getting 5.0.3 out of the door we should consider a
> first 5.3.0 and also 5.7.0 release.

I apologize for bringing up more meaningless version number debates,
but why 5.3.0 and not 5.3.9? Why not 5.4.0pre1? 5.3.0 seems many
releases away from 5.4.0 (even though the distance is meaningless).

Is 5.4.0 really that far off? What's missing besides testing, testing,
testing? Is there a list of critical bugs that need to be fixed before
release? (e.g. NVIZ/Tk 8.4 on some systems; OSX & solaris build
problems; r.terraflow CVS update) Is there any major missing
code or subsystems?

By the same argument, what's missing before a 5.7.0-experimental
release and grass51 CVS moving to 5.7.1? (yes, code merge- wait just
until 5.4.0 is out & thus in buxfixe only mode?) Is it too much to
unwind the 'make mix' symlinks and make a source-only 5.7.0 release now?
(I guess that means no CVS checkout of 5.7.0 and not a very good idea)

If we do a merge early before, 5.4.0 is out, applying changes to both
trees is double the work, a pain, and bug prone. The sooner 5.4.0 is out
and all new changes go to the 5.7 branch the better, I think.

just some humble thoughts,

Hamish