[GRASS5] Tcl8.4 support?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Sep 14 11:42:03 EDT 2003

Hamish wrote:

> old business:

In my previous message, I hadn't noticed that you continued after the
signature.

> Where do you change the Makefiles to have GRASS compile with "gcc-2.95"
> instead of"gcc" (ie gcc-3.3) ?

To select a different compiler, set the CC environment variable prior
to running configure e.g.

	CC=gcc-2.95 ./configure ...

Similarly for CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, e.g.

	CFLAGS='-g -Wall' ./configure ...

You can also override make variables with e.g.

	make CC=gcc-2.95

However, if you do this, bear in mind that the settings in head.<arch>
and config.h may not be appropriate.

> > If tcltkgrass is crashing inside "pure" Tcl/Tk code, you won't be able
> > to find out much unless you have a version of libtcl which has debug
> > info.
>
> I think (could be wrong) Debian binaries are stripped by default.

Most distributions strip the dynamic libraries; sometimes the -devel
package includes static libraries which aren't stripped, but mostly
you have to build your own libraries if you want debug info.

In any case, I don't think that a debugger will help with the hanging
"exec" problem.