[GRASS5] Tcl8.4 support?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 22:51:18 EDT 2003

> > Turns out the raster I was testing NVIZ out with is a CELL map.
> > Tried to run nviz on an integer based raster on a RedHat install &
> > it gave the same SegFault.
> > So NVIZ doesn't like integer based maps.
>
> Hamish I have been using nviz with CELL maps with no problems (e.g.
> figs 5.1b,6.8a,7.2a in the book) and I tried it with the recent nviz
> version from CVS right now and it runs OK too.

Attached pls find a map that makes NVIZ fail with the SegFault:
(import with r.in.ascii)
building color table
child killed: segmentation violation

(sometimes)
Fails on Debian/Testing(Sarge) with GRASS 5.0.2, 5.0.3rc3.
Works on Redhat 7.3 with CVS HEAD and 5.0.2.
Fails on Redhat 9 with 5.0.2, 5.0.3rc3.  (RH9 uses tcltk 8.3)

5.0.2 on Redhat 9 also fails for other CELL maps I try.
.. so it doesn't seem to be the distro, tcl version, or the map itself.
As it works with 5.0.2 on RH7.3 I'd figure it isn't a fixed bug either.
RH9 gcc 3.2.2, RH7.3 gcc 2.96, Debian gcc 3.3.1 ..

> > It also fails with pages of errors if there is no data in the
> > current region (d.zoom to an all null part of the map).
>
> yes, it crashes if one tries to display a map that is out of the given
> region - it obviously tries to compute some of the initial variables
> that is undefined - I got this error (it looks like something for the
> cutting plane pannel):
>
> Error in startup script: integer value too large to represent
>      while executing
> "expr int([lindex $range 1])"
>      (procedure "mkcutplanePanel" line 55)
>      invoked from within
> "mk$name\Panel $path"
>      (procedure "Nv_force_panel" line 10)
>      invoked from within

Bob has a fix, recompiling for a test now..

Hamish