[GRASS5] Tcl8.4 support?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Sep 16 07:25:57 EDT 2003

Hamish wrote:

>>>G: One thing which might make a difference: try adding "-lpthread"
>>>to the link command. I've occasionally encountered all sorts of
>>>odd behaviour with programs which are linked against libraries
>>>which are linked against libpthread (typically libGL), but where
>>>the binary itself isn't linked directly against libpthread.

>>>That works(!)
>>
>>Damn.
>>
>>I have absolutely no idea how we could make configure detect this
>>situation.

>>The only easy solution is to provide a switch, e.g. --nviz-pthread,
>>which explicitly add -lpthread to the NVIZ linking switches. At least,
>>providing the switch is easy enough; dealing with user queries of the
>>form "what does this switch do and should I use it?" is likely to be
>>less straightforward.
>

> That' still just treating the symptom.. (although that's possibly all we
> can do from our end)
>
> AFAIK, this is currently only a problem with Debian/Testing. Is anybody
> running Gentoo or another bleeding edge distro who can try this? It
> would be bad for the next version of SuSE/RedHat to come out with a new
> glibc, tcl, etc & start showing this behaviour too.

Running on Mandrake cooker:

$ rpm -q glibc tcl
glibc-2.3.2-14mdk
tcl-8.4.2-1mdk

No problems with NVIZ, but I am running the NVIDIA drivers (which
replace libGL.so*). But it seems tcl/tcltk in Mandrake is built without
thread support.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202