[GRASS5] Solaris, GRASS 5.1, and Proj

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 15:29:14 EDT 2003

Yes, that was a bug in the lib/proj/Makefile in 5.1. I fixed it on the 8th
September so your snapshot is just two days too old...you can get the
updated file from
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass51/lib/proj/Makefile

There were actually two bugs in the file, which is why you were having so
much trouble: you correctly saw that the NAD_DIR= line should be above the
$(NAD_DIR): line, but also all references to $(NAD2BIN) should have been
replaced by nad2bin, as in 5.1/5.7 we use the installed nad2bin command
from the PROJ.4 distribution and don't compile it from source (I had
copied the Makefile over from 5.0 and forgot to change some things).

Paul

> If I modify the Makefile to move the "NAD_DIR =" line after the "NT_TABLE=" line, I get a different error message:
> 	mkdir: Failed to make directory "/etc/nad"; Permission denied
> 	make: *** [/etc/nad] Error 2
> It seems to have lost $(GISBASE).

Don't know how that would happen---must be something to do with the order
of things in the Makefile again

> If I also change $@ to $(NAD_DIR) in the $(NAD_DIR) target, the error messages are:
> 	wallace<640> make
> 	for i in FL.lla MD.lla TN.lla WI.lla WO.lla alaska.lla conus.lla hawaii.lla
> 	prvi.lla stgeorge.lla stlrnc.lla stpaul.lla ; do  < $i
> 	/sim/home1/Grass/grass5.1/grass51_exp_2003_09_06/dist.sparc-sun-solaris2.9/etc/n
> 	ad/`echo $i | sed 's/.lla//'`; done
> 	/bin/sh:
> 	/sim/home1/Grass/grass5.1/grass51_exp_2003_09_06/dist.sparc-sun-solaris2.9/etc/n
> 	ad/FL: not found

Yes nothing was subtituted for $(NAD2BIN) in the above command line so it
didn't make sense---the Makefile rules for compiling nad2bin from the 5.0
Gmakefile don't seem to work here (I don't understand why) but it doesn't
matter anyway as the installed nad2bin from PROJ.4 is used now.