[GRASS5] Migration of GRASS Prog. manual into source code (doxygen)

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Sep 24 12:02:27 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 02:57:25PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> a student of our group, Paolo Armani, was so kind
> to write a PERL script for migrating the Latex
> code of the GRASS 5 Programmer's manual into doxygen
> style.
[...]
> TODO (will do, help welcome):
> - polish the existing internal non-doxygen-style comments and
>   merge with the new doxygen-style comments
> - also migrate the other (relevant) general GRASS programmers Latex pages
>   into file.dox files.
>
> OUTCOME
> We can render the entire programmer's manual from the
> source code as GDAL and many other projects do. No more
> efforts will be necessary to maintain a separate documents
> which easily gets outdated. We are already following this idea in
> GRASS 5.7.
>
> Thanks to Paolo Armani from IRST for his magic PERL script!

So, the first library documents are done for raster graphics lib.
You can see, how it works, here (temporary URL):

http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass53/doxygenhtml/
(click on "raster Raster Graphics Library", the others are not done yet)

You can render these pages yourself by starting
./doxygen
in the main source directory. It does also PDF format (activate in
./Doxyfile if desired).

Step by step we'll move the intresting parts of the Latex docs into
this format. I have already all fixes changed, but will submit only
slowly after review to CVS.
If anyone is willing to participate, I can forward the changed
files for review. Also needed is the migration of the general
explanations from Latex to doxygen, such done for raster graphics lib
(chapter15.tex ->
 http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass53/doxygenhtml/rastergraphicslib.html
). This is basically a change from Latex to simple HTML.

Cheers

 Markus