[GRASS5] New TclTk interface for GRASS 5

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Apr 1 20:27:28 EST 2004

Hamish wrote:

> > along with commands to produce fairly nice looking output from GRASS
> > screens as graphic image files you can paste into other applications
> > (in *.xwd, *.tiff [8 bit color], and *.png formats).
>
> I'm just curious what's the point of making huge .xwd files when
> .png's are a lossless (via xwdtopnm | pnmtopng) version of the same
> thing at 1% the size?

If you are creating temporary images which will be read by another
program then deleted, there's no point wasting CPU cycles on
compression.

Having said that, I would guess that the XWD option corresponds to
using xwd to grab the contents of an XDRIVER window. Similarly, I
would guess that the TIFF option corresponds to using the CELL driver
plus r.out.tiff.